This is an introduction to Power Systems analysis and their components. It is designed to help individuals understand the fundamentals of electrical power systems from generation to distribution. It covers a wide range of topics, including: three phase system; per unit system; parameters related to Power systems; basics of power system; components of substations; protection systems; transformers; generation, transmission and distribution fundamentals.
o Understand three phase system.
o Understand the per unit system.
o Understand electric transformers.
o Understand AC machines.
o Understand the components of electric power system and deal with them.
o Understand parameters related to power systems.
o Understand fundamentals of generation, transmission and distribution systems.
Pre-Requisites by Topic
o Electric circuits
Computer Usage: -----
1.Basic Principles (AC Power) 2 Hours
o Power (real, reactive & apparent power)
o Power factor correction
o Electric Power calculations
o Three phase system
2. Per unit system 1 Hour
3. Electric power system overview 1 Hour
4. Transformers 1 Hour
5. Components of sub-stations 3 Hours
o Circuit breakers
o Power transformers
o Current and voltage transformers
o Surge arrestor
6. Synchronous, induction, and DC machinery 1.5 Hours
7. Fundamentals of protection system 1.5 Hours
8. Fundamentals of transmission system 1.5 Hours
9. Fundamentals of distribution power system 1.5 Hours
10. Review & other topics 1 Hour
Assignment of course grade:
The grade will be based on the weighted index as shown below.
Homework . . . . . . . . . 15 %
Quizzes . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 %
Project .. . . . . . . . . . . . 15 %
Final Exam . . . . . . . . . 55 %
* 3 quizzes + 3 Assignments+ 1 project + 1 final exam
Course Pass Grade: 80%
Tuition: $700 USD